Interweb Finds: My interview with Slash, the cost of L.A. & more

Slash & Cassie

So this happened. Remember how just a few days ago I mentioned how hard this journalism thing is? Well, turns it out has its perks, too. I got to interview SLASH. As in, the legendary guitarist from Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver. And guys, I kept my cool. One of my questions even made him say, “That’s a good fucking question.” Damn straight, Slash. Damn straight. (I didn’t even notice Jon Bon Jovi jealously scowling at us in the background until after this picture was taken. If you’ve known me awhile, you know I once had a major Bon Jovi addiction. I feel like it means something that he’s in this picture.)

That was the highlight of my week. Because a journalist’s job is never done, I’m otherwise busy stressing out over deadlines. And trying to squeeze in Breaking Bad episodes. Y’all better not ruin tonight’s series finale for me. #stayingofftwitter

And now, for the web stuff!

There’s plenty of female nudity on HBO. These women aren’t asking for less of it—just more male nudity to even the score. Hilarious.

Some tips on back to (grad) school fashion—written by me!

Another victim of an Internet meme gone wrong. Here’s how one sincere “hipster” became hated online for his art—and what he’s saying about it.

An eye-opening infographic on the average cost of living in L.A., broken down by neighborhood. (I’m happy to say we’re well below Silver Lake’s average. Sheesh!)

In the misleading headlines category, “How to get flat abs, have amazing sex, and rule the world in 8 easy steps.” It’s a great read.

Ladies—important information! The Affordable Care Act’s new rules on birth control and insurance explained simply by Bitch magazine. Know your rights!

The web is never at a loss for amazingly talented photographers. Check out these almost spooky split-face portraits of family members.

That’s all for today. New posts to look forward to soon, including some photography, another “Lucky” Ones interview, and more. What are you looking forward to this week?

Comments

1. That is so cool! Yay for having awesome things like this balance out the stress.

2. Wow that is a sweet gig! What was the question you asked that he said “that’s a fucking good question” to? I’m so curious! Checking out some of your links but i really should sleep… I’m looking forward to when I can sleep again at the end of the week. Shitttt.

I mentioned his distinctive musical style and asked if he also put his own touch on the films he produces style-wise. Something to that effect. And I guess he liked it! 🙂

3. Mona Batchelor says:

Way to go, Cassie!

4. How awesome! That is wonderful, Cassie! Congrats on the big get! 🙂

And yay for cool links! 🙂

5. Whoah, according to that infographic, we’re paying more than $600 less than the rest of WeHo for rent! Woohoooo. Also, totally avoiding most of the internet until Friday, which is when Toby gets home and I can watch the Breaking Bad finale. Stupid spoilers.

Oh heeelllz yeah for coming in below average. And have you watched the finale yet?!?! I’m still reeling from it all.

6. Great articles! First off, how cool is it that you got to interview someone from Guns & Roses?! I had a total GR obsession in high school, back in my classic rock days. That’s pretty rad. 🙂

Haha! I can totally see you rockin’ out to GNR. Seriously, we would’ve made quite the pair between your obsession and my Bon Jovi obsession.

7. Those are some good internet finds. I had seen the hipster meme before and found it amusing, though it didn’t quite create the same rage inside me as it seems to have done for some people on the internet! Finding out the real context and his perspective is interesting and important. Thanks for sharing that!

I can’t believe the rage he inspired! People say some crazy shit on the webz. Funnily enough, I saw a typewriting imitator at a festival here in L.A. the other day. I was kind of bummed the original had his own rip-off artist, but then I guess that’s how you know you had a good idea.

8. How cool that you got to interview Slash. I hope I get to do fun interviews like that when I’m in school.

I hope so, too! It’s amazing how many smart and interesting people you’re suddenly exposed to when you enter the field.

9. so incredibly cool! congrats, cassie!!

10. are you caught up now? haha that’s awesome. which one was the good fucking question?

OMG, I’m caught up, and OMG, I can’t even. That was so intense, and now I don’t even know what to do with myself haha.

I answered your question in my response to Amanda’s comment above. 🙂