Comments

1. As a matter of fact, I just went to the library YESTERDAY for the first time in far too long! I checked out a bunch of “learn Chinese” books and resources instead of spending $40+ in the bookstore for them. I can’t wait to get started! I’ve also been wanting to read Lena Dunham’s book but I don’t think I’ll have time for it for quite a while…I’m currently working my way through a long booklist of my own!
    That library on wheels is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    ~ Samantha
    samsamcherie.blogspot.com

That’s so awesome you’re teaching yourself Chinese! And that you’re saving yourself money by using library books. Good luck!

2. The last time I was IN a Library? Two months ago. The last time I CHECKED OUT a book in the library? Er… high school? However, I am a very picky reader and tend to purchase any book I read as I have done extensive research into whether I will like it or not. It’s hit and miss.

But I am one chapter into Lena Dunham’s book and I have already loled twice.

Jess @ http://www.inpursuitofsimple.com

3. I actually have not checked out ATX libraries, which is crazy because not only did I go to NYC one all the time, but my work is right now to a beautiful library. I think my biggest problem is living in walking distance from a discount bookstore. It’s my weakness and where all my monies go. I definitely need to start going to the library again.

I LOVE that Library Store on Wheels. What a lovely concept!

Walking distance to a discount bookstore?! Well, I can understand being pulled in that direction. 😉

4. I actually got a library card earlier this week! It had been too long. On my to-read list is Bad Feminist and Eula Biss’s On Immunity. I just finished Gay’s An Untamed State and it shattered me (in a good way). Tenth of December was also really good if you like short stories!

5. I want to read Bad Feminist too. I just moved to Nashville, road trip complete, and today, my first day in town, I tried to get a library card but the library less than a half a mile from my house (YAY!!!) was closed. :/ So I’m going in tomorrow for that card.

Ha, well good for you for making that a top priority. You’re so lucky the library is that close! Enjoy. 🙂

6. Um, I am a library fanatic, I guess. When I go someplace new I always go check out their library.

I currently have 26 items checked out at the library and 7 holds that I’m picking up in a couple of hours. Before today, the last time I was at a library was… Tuesday. I read a lot, and I also like to write there. It’s rare to go more than three weeks without at least having someone pick up my holds for me. Libraries have always been a big part of my life. When I was in fourth grade, I read through my school’s library.

One of my favorite memoirs this year is The End of Eve by Ariel Gore. I believe the tagline was something like “If it’s not one thing, it’s your mother.”

7. The library is my favorite. The public libraries in Nevada are also pretty great, although I’m not sure they’re nationally/internationally ranked.

8. This made me think. The last time I went in a library was in college, and it’s only to study for my final exams. The last time I went to the library to borrow a book was in grade school. I have been reading eBooks since I got my iPhone and iPad; however, it doesn’t change the fact that there’s no better way than reading an actual hardbound or paperback.

Jae
    SCATTERBRAIN

9. I’ve been meaning to go and haven’t been in almost a year. Last time I went, I was told that I had to update my address, so I would have to wait for a postcard to be delivered by mail and then bring it in to prove I received it. Well, I never bothered. But I will! I volunteered at the library from 2010 to 2011 and I’m thinking about doing it again.

Being around the smell of books, of literature and learning is so fun! It’s also nice to pick up books for free. 🙂

When I signed up, I brought a copy of my lease and that did the trick! Maybe try that? I’d love to volunteer at the library, too. I can imagine you’d meet a lot of like-minded people that way.

10. When I was in my late teens I was rarely out of the library! I loved checking out books. Now the only library I use is the university’s and, let me tell you, a trip in is rare! I have struggled to read anything for so long, I can’t see a visit happening any time soon!

11. People are totally missing out by not using the library! Getting a library card is one of the first things I do each time I move to a new town. I’m in a small town now, so the selection isn’t the best, but I’m still impressed by their ebook and audio book selection. I’m happy to see a post about it!

12. I go to the library every few weeks with my son to renew his books and I always lingo towards the cooking section – so I’m always trying new recipes and seeing what sticks. The library is great because you can “try before you buy” sort of deal – it’s awesome; if you really love a book you can make your choice after you’ve read it, if you love it so. 🙂 Have a great one Cassie! -Iva

13. In all my years in LA I have NEVER been to a library here. WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING! Although I suppose I have about 6 books started at my apartment right now so it will be a while before I even have room in my life for a new book 😛

Your brain is gonna be ssoooooooo big after reading all those books! Going up a hat size is right hahaha

I already have a big head, so who knows how big it’ll get?!

And get yo’self to the library, girl! I still haven’t been to the central library here in L.A., but I hear it’s fantaaastic. Let’s go!

14. Go to the downtown public library. Whenever I temp in that area, I always spend my lunches there. The majestic architecture is enough o blow your mind, but the floors and floors of books will change the amount of time you spend downtown. For real. I have made special trips to hang out at that library. I got the bulk of my Sundance Lab screenplay done there. It’s just that wonderful. I can concentrate there.

I had no idea about the library app! I will be certain to check it out. I recently read an article about how our brains respond differently to books than they do to e-readers (I have a Kindle) and I really want to get back into the habit of reading actual books again.

Also, you will LOVE Bad Feminist. I picked it up on a whim and never set it down. That woman’s mind is comprised of so many lovely, intelligent things.

Ha, and I just responded to the comment above about that! I definitely need to get to the downtown library ASAP. I think I’d be a very productive reader and writer in a place like that.

15. wait…..wut. chicago’s library is THAT good? i live there and now i feel absolutely hideous for not going, haha. to my credit, though, I do go to the suburb one! i also think it’s amazing you can renew a book online. i could have saaaaved a lot of nickels if i knew that beforehand 🙂

xo marlen